Brunel Pension Partnership Limited (Brunel) requires an experienced investment professional to help deliver investment management focused on private markets, playing a critical role in supporting Brunel’s Clients to fulfil their private markets and real assets investment objectives. Investment Principal, Private Markets (IPPMs) take the lead on particular investment areas, to be allocated and agreed with the Head of Private Markets (HoPM), dependent on client needs. IPPMs are also expected to interact directly with client fund officers and pension committees.
Brunel is rapidly developing and is looking for candidates keen to work in a friendly, collaborative yet dynamic environment, where adaptability to handle multiple challenges will be a distinct advantage. Flexible and home working is actively encouraged.
As an Approved Person (FCA CF30), an IPPM must comply with the Statements of Principle and Code of Practice.
This role will involve regular UK travel (mainly London) and occasional international travel. The role will be based at our Bristol offices.
The deadline for applications is 17:00 GMT on Friday 20 September 2019.
Principal reporting lines
An IPPM will report to the Head of Private Markets (HoPM) and will be part of the wider Investment Directorate of 15+ investment professionals reporting to the CIO.
An IPPM may have a direct report (one of the investment directorate’s investment officers).
An IPPM will work closely with the HoPM to deliver a series of risk and return portfolios for Brunel Clients. There are currently 6 private market portfolios covering Property, Private Equity and Debt, Infrastructure and Secured Income.
Duties as part of the Brunel Team:
- Maintain the skills, knowledge and expertise to effectively and compliantly execute the relevant allocated duties
- Deliver directly, or indirectly, with Brunel colleagues, excellent service to its Clients as part of a small, new investment management company
- Actively support Brunel’s diversity programme, both internally and externally, along with all other corporate policy initiatives
Duties specific to a Brunel IPPM:
- Fulfilment of the obligations as an Approved Person and a holder of the Customer Dealing Function
- Leveraging quantitative and qualitative analysis methods and techniques to support market and manager research, personally and within the Directorate
- Accountable for thorough manager selection, due diligence and monitoring across the assigned Brunel Private Market Portfolios and potentially legacy client portfolios
- Leading the identification of new ideas to meet known Client requirements and, leveraging market and Client knowledge, to pre-empt requirements and provide innovative solutions
- Providing direction to junior team members to deliver clear, timely and novel insights and recommendations for the Portfolios
- Attendance at, and leadership of, manager due diligence meetings, championing Brunel’s ethos of sustainable, responsible investing
- Attendance at, and leadership of, meetings with Clients, Client Pension Committees and other stakeholders
- Timely maintenance of records supporting monitoring and due diligence activities
- Accountable for the generation of commentary and insight for periodic (and ad-hoc) Client reporting
- Leadership of reporting and research for the Brunel Investment Committee (BIC) and the Strategic Investment Committee (SIC) of the Board and Executives
- Building and maintenance of productive relationships between Brunel and asset management organisations to:
- Understand their product offerings and their application to the requirements of Brunel and its Clients; and
- Create bespoke products and innovative solutions, where appropriate
Skills and experience:
- Can, and will embrace and protect Brunel’s values and culture
- Experience in a manager research position, ideally within a regulated environment, to undertake manager selection, due diligence and monitoring
- Strong, broad knowledge and understanding of Private Markets and the relevant asset classes
- Strong understanding of approaches to Portfolio construction
- Highly numerate, with proficiency in statistical and quantitative techniques
- Ability to understand new investment developments, based on a well-tested knowledge of multiple asset classes, as well as asset pooling regimes
- Credibility with stakeholders, including investment managers and clients, at all levels
- Can become an FCA Approved Person, demonstrate fitness and propriety and continue to meet such standards
- Holds an investment qualification: CAIA, CFA, FCSI or similar
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in similar roles
- Is a strong communicator with excellent presentation and written skills
- Embracer of diversity and responsible investment
Brunel Pension Partnership Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct authority as a full-service MiFID firm. We are responsible for c. £30bn of assets of our 10 Local Government Pensions Scheme (LGPS) funds, who are our shareholders. We are seeking to combine the professionalism and best practice of a leading investment firm with the long-term perspective of a responsible asset owner.
In the first instance, please email your CV and cover letter and completed diversity questionnaire to to [email protected] with the subject line as ‘Investment Principal, Private Markets’ by 17:00 GMT on Friday 20 September 2019.
Back to news articles